Friday, July 3, 2009

The Little Things

Sometimes it's the little things that make your day.

I got "the" letter in the mail today from Highlands Elementary School (my kids' school) letting us know that Lauryn got morning kindergarten with Mrs. Dominguez. Exactly what I wanted. I know, I know... not that big a deal in the scheme of things, but when something works out just like you wanted it to... well, that's kind of a nice thing.

Yes, my last baby will be starting kindergarten in one month. Hard to believe that all my kids will be in elementary school (although all three get out at different times). Whatever will I do with my three hours a day?

I don't get why Santa Clarita is the only school system in Los Angeles that doesn't do full-day kindergarten. Honestly, my daughter has been going to preschool for 2 1/2 years already... I think she can handle a full day of class. I've worked in the kindergarten classes... they barely have time to zip through the material they have. It's rush, rush, rush from one project to another. And how are kids supposed to learn at this pace? I seem to remember when I was a kid, we spent weeks on end just learning how to write an "a". (Funny how the "a" we learned in no way reflects the typewritten "a".)

Oh well... I will not be the mother who stands outside the door with a tear down my eye wondering if my baby is missing me. Oh please... life moves on... kids get older... heck, I'm getting older. Lauryn will handle it just fine... just like Temera and Amanda did. I won't be sad... I'll be at Starbucks enjoying my peace and quiet. Even if it's just for three hours a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment