Saturday, July 11, 2009

How Time Flies

Saturday nights during the summer in Santa Clarita we have "Concerts in the Park". Bands from all over play on stage at Central Park and the place is packed with local residents out for a good time. We've gone in previous years to hear various bands... and mostly we spent our time telling the kids, "It's almost over", "We'll leave soon"... you get the drift.

So tonight I thought I might get the same response. We met a bunch of friends there at the park and when it was time to go (lights came on, cars headed for the exit), all I heard from my kids was, "Is it over?", "Why do we have to go?", "Can't we stay?" Well, how do you like that? My kids didn't want to leave. Never mind the fact that I barely saw them all night. My nine year old went off to play with her nine year old friends. My six year old went off to play with her six year old friends. My four year old decided to hang out with her teenage cousins and talk them into taking her to the playground. When did my kids become so independent? They didn't need me... they needed friends!

Oh friends... one minute they love them, the next minute they hate them. So hard to be a kid these days. But gosh darn it... you need friends. I can't say that I love all my kids' friends, but it is a joy to see them interact... to keep secrets... to share stories. This is where they learn about relationships... how to deal with pain and loss... mean kids... popular kids... bad kids (and good kids). Seeing my kids pick and choose who they want to be friends with is really something to see. The thought process that goes into it is truly amazing.

When my nine year old daughter tells me that she doesn't want to be friends with another little girl because she is mean to other girls, well, my heart soars. Yes, despite all my mothering doubts, I did something right... my daughter has empathy. She cares for people. And, she knows wrong from right. Raising kind, caring kids... isn't that what we all strive for?

It's hard work, but at the end of the day when you realize your kids have grown another day older (and a whole lot wiser), you know it's been a good day and you've done your job.

Time flies so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment