Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Being Thankful

I just finished reading the book "Against Medical Advice", by Hal Friedman and James Patterson (yes, that James Patterson). The book is a true account of what happened to Hal's son, Cory, between the ages of 5 and 18. At 5 years old he suddenly had Tourette's Syndrome as well as OCD. The struggle he and his parents went through for 13 years to seek treatment is chronicled and is heartbreaking. Sadly, doctor after doctor could not find a way to help him, despite dozens of different medications.

I certainly do my share of complaining about my kids. I know we all do. They fight too much, they don't clean up their room, brush their teeth, do their homework. But really, are any of these life threatening? My kids are healthy... really healthy... and I know that we don't take enough time to be thankful for that. So they have a cavity... or need braces... or eye glasses. That should be the most we have to worry about.

We know kids who aren't so lucky. Who knows why some kids get sick and some don't. Maybe it's genetics, maybe environment, but mostly it's just the luck of the draw. I, for one, am damn lucky that not only are my kids healthy... they are incredibly smart, talented, funny, and lovable. I think that sometimes we need to get a dose of what other people go through with their medical problems to truly appreciate what we have.

If you haven't read the book... I'd recommend it. It will make you truly be thankful for what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment