Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Newest Pet Peeve

We have a day off of school this week and where do you think most of the kids will be?  Disneyland!

I don't get it... my girls come home every week telling me about a friend (or several) who is going to Disneyland for the day (or weekend).  Now we make a pretty decent living... my kids have plenty of clothes, shoes, warm jackets and enough toys to keep them busy for weeks.  What I don't understand is how most of these other families are actually affording to take their kids to Disneyland every month.  I may not be an accountant but I can figure out that the cost for 5 of us to go to Disneyland will run us about $320 a pop - NOT including parking AND food AND souvenirs!  That seems a little excessive to me.

Now I do understand that since we live in Southern California that many, many people actually do work for Disney - lucky them, they get in FREE!!!!  (Not sure why we don't have ANYONE in our family that works for Disney.)  But really, aren't amusement parks supposed to be special?  Aren't they supposed to be a once in a while event?  Maybe for a birthday... or Spring Break? 

Hearing my kids tell me they want to go is painful.  I know their friends go all the time... we just can't afford to shell out over $400 for a day of fun.  We've only taken our kids to Disneyland once in their young lives... and that was 3 years ago.

So parents... if you are going to actually take your kids OUT of school for the day just to go have fun at Disneyland... please don't tell the entire school about it.  It's making the rest of us parents look (and feel) bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment