Saturday, April 10, 2010

Adopted Russian Boy Returned - My Commentary

The latest story in the news that has my blood boiling is about a Tennessee woman who adopted a child from an orphanage in Russia.  She recently just put this 7 year old boy on an international airline flight ALONE back to Russia with a note saying she no longer wished to parent the boy.

OMG!!!!!!

The woman and her mother both said that they feared for their lives and the boy threatened to burn their house down.  Can I just say that anytime I say no to my 5 year old daughter she tells me she hates me and is going to kill me?  Now, I will admit that I don't know this child... or the adoptive mother.  I will also admit that this boy could very well have had emotional issues.  But...

The adoptive mother never took the boy for counseling.  She never had him seen by a doctor.  She didn't have him in school because of the language problem.  And may I say that any child coming out of an orphanage is bound to have issues.

I have never adopted a child (I have three of my own) but I personally know several couples who did adopt from Russia (both as babies and as older boys).  Yes, there were issues and yes, it wasn't always an easy transition, but the way I see it - adopting is no different than birthing your own child.  You just never know what you're going to get.  Plenty of healthy, newborn babies grow up to be disturbed adults.  Hello... that's why there are doctors and counselors. 

A real parent doesn't give up on their child.
A real parent doesn't send their child away.
A real parent knows what unconditional love is.

I don't know this Tennessee woman but I do know she isn't a real parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment