Friday, October 2, 2009

To Laugh or to Cry?

What possesses children to totally trash their own house? Seriously, I don't get it. Is there something innate in them that likes to live in their own mess? Clothes always end up on the floor when there is a hamper less than 6 inches away. Food wrappers and empty juice boxes end up under beds. There is ALWAYS gobs of toothpaste in the sink. They can trash a room in 4.3 seconds but it takes them a good 3 hours to clean it up (of course that's counting the 10 minutes actually spent cleaning and the other 2 hours and 50 minutes of complaining about it).

My wonderful, creative kids. They who take all their books off the shelf and build school desks for their American Girl Dolls. They who drape blankets and pillows and sheets to make intricate forts any architect would be proud of. They who can play dress up and manage to look like a movie star but then can't find a thing to wear on school mornings.

Where did my babies go? Tiny little angelic babies who didn't talk back, who didn't throw their belongings on the floor, who only wanted to be held and loved. Now I get called "bad Mom", "mean Mom", "unfair Mom", and my favorite, "the worst Mom in the world."

I look at them and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I cry because I'm so tired all the time from punishing them, cleaning up after them, being emotionally abused by them. I laugh because I know that one day they'll have children of their own. Oh yes.... how I will laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment